Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Review: EQUILIBRIUM (2002)


Now I was kind of worried when I watched this film because I realized that it's from Dimension Films and I have a personal grudge with Dimension for releasing bad movie after bad movie, especially unnecessary sequels to hit movies. Just to let you know, EQUILIBRIUM avoided the Dimension plague, actually it was on a whole other dimension. Read what follows.

In a futuristic world, a strict society has eliminated war by suppressing emotions: books, art and music are strictly forbidden and feeling is a crime punishable by death. Clerick John Preston (Christian Bale) is a top ranking government agent responsible for destroying those who resist the rules. When he misses a dose of Prozium, a mind-altering drug that hinders emotion, Preston, who been trained to enforce the strict laws of the new regime, suddenly becomes has the only person capable of overthrowing it. And from this point on, he unleashes his Guns of Fury.

This is probably I think, one of the best movies to come out in 2002...why didn't I hear about this movie until now. I read up on it somewhere on the Web and seemed like a kick ass movie, so when I watched it, it turned out to be more than I expected. Christian Bale as the Clerick gives a kick ass performance like he always does with his movies (AMERICAN PSYCHO is still his best role) and action hero suits him well, this guy better be making more action films. The film heavily borrows elements from THE MATRIX, BLADE RUNNER, and 1984 but it rips off these movies successfully and the pace of this film is quick like Bale pulling out his gat. What was very unique about the film was the creation of their own martial art known as Gun-Kata. I would like to learn this; it looked so damn cool in the movie that I want to sign up for classes. Although their were other characters in this film, you’ll only give a damn about Christian Bale’s character, he owned every motherfucker he blasted away with his gun skills, some of the best gunfights I’ve seen in some time. Leave your brain at the door for this one, it's all about Christian Bale kicking some serious ass before he donned the Batman cape.

The Boom Verdict: 4 out of 5

No comments: